Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Marmot Limelight 2P Tent

An important piece of equipment to most campers/backpackers is shelter.

I have a hammock and don't mind sleeping in it under a tarp, but I prefer the luxury of a tent.

Being able to spread out all my gear across the floor of a tent is much easier that keeping the gear in a pack overnight. Especially for those times when you get into your sleeping bag and realize you forgot to get or do something, like changing your clothes.

It is not easy to change clothes, or do anything beside lay still, in a hammock, believe me. I have fallen out of the hammock twice while trying to reach for something. Once was onto another hammocker below me, but that is a story for another day.

When I was searching for a tent, I had three requirements: light, easy to set up, and made by a reliable brand.



Thus, I came across the Marmot Limelight 2P (2 person) tent.

Here is the Limelight 2P in Western NC during January 2012

At just under 5 lb. it is fairly light, but not "ultra-light."

It's selling points are its durability, rain-cover, vestibule area, roof-vent, and the ease of set up.

While I have had some practice setting up this tent, I can set it up (alone) in just under three minutes. These three minutes include laying the footprint, connecting the poles, ascending the tent, securing the rain-cover, and placing 10 stakes (in windy conditions all 16 stakes are necessary).

This 3-season tent is great for the spring, fall and winter. It gets pretty hot inside the tent during the summer with the rain-cover on. This "greenhouse effect" is great during the winter.

The Limelight 2P will keep you dry on rainy nights and will allow you to watch the stars on clear, warmer nights with the rain-cover off.

Even though I was afraid the bending poles were going to snap at any moment during a night-long, 60+mph wind-storm atop a ridge on the Art Loeb Trail this past January, the tent stood strong by the time morning rolled around. This is among the many reasons why I trust the Marmot brand.

Purchase this tent through our partner, Masseys Outfitters, and proceeds go to Primal Sensations!

No comments: