Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Osprey Aether 60

When I first got into camping and backpacking a few years ago I used a cheap Sierra Designs 45 liter.  It was not only too small for extended trips but, more importantly, it killed my back and shoulders.

Wherever I went to or read reviews, Osprey continued to come up as having the right pack for what I was looking for. So, before a 32 mile hike on the Appalachian Trail last spring, I purchased the Osprey Aether 60.

Here is the Aether pre-AT 2012 (way too heavy)
When in the store, trying on packs, I had it narrowed down to either the Aether and the Osprey Atmos 50.



They each had their selling points but what made my final decision was the comfort of the Aether and it's custom-mold belt. The way it formed to my body, putting all the weight (comfortably) on my hips and none on my back or shoulders is something I knew would make a difference on the trail.

And what a difference it made. Even though I overpacked for my AT trip and was out of shape, my shoulders and back never screamed in agony like they were accustomed to doing with my old Sierra Designs.



The Aether has a top-load main compartment that can be accessed through a curved side zipper. It also offers a sleeping bag compartment in the bottom for easy loading/unloading.

Another feature of the Aether that I use more often is the top lid of the pack that can be taken off and converted into a lumbar pack (a fanny-pack of sorts) with a built in belt. It is approximately 10 liters and is more than enough to fit a first-aid kit, water bottle, and other necessities needed for day-hikes.

Other features include dual side compression straps, removable sleeping-pad straps, trekking pole attachment and two ice-axe loops and handle wraps.

One thing that Osprey has added on its newest version of the Aether, that I wish was on mine, is the zippered hip-belt pockets. These allow quick access to those smaller items you may need while walking. Taking your pack on and off for Chapstick gets old.

If you plan to hike for more than a couple days I would advise going no bigger than a 60 liter. The more room your pack has, the more likely you will try to fill that space with unneeded items. Ounces matter when you hike 15 miles a day, back to back.

Also, I would highly advise getting a rain cover for this pack. It is water-resistant but not water-proof, and nothing is worse than a wet sleeping bag.

No comments: